Thursday, August 30, 2012

Less than glamorous lessons

Last week, the sign outside our church read, "Every home is a school. What are you teaching?" I started thinking about how often we think our children aren't paying attention, when truthfully they are watching us very closely.

For those who don't know, I am 18 weeks pregnant with twins. Unlike most expectant moms who ditch the nausea after the first trimester, I am still struggling with it. My husband is a gem and is usually right there with me during those less than glamorous moments when my head is hung over the toilet. He rubs my back, hands me a tissue, and then hands me a bottle of water. He's a rare find, but I could go on and on about that for longer than you care to listen.

Earlier this week, I had such an episode after hubby had already left for work. There I am in my not-so-finest hour, when I hear little footsteps enter the bathroom behind me. My best efforts to persuade him to leave the room of germs, were less than productive. Instead, I felt a little hand on my back rubbing ever so gently. I thanked him for being so sweet, and then my two year old handed me a bottle of water. I realized right then, that he has been paying attention to the way Daddy takes care of Mommy.

I texted my husband at work and thanked him for being such an example of Godly love to our son. I was touched and proud of my little boy that morning, but also a little frightened. What else has he been watching so closely? Have I led him astray without even being aware of it? We often remember to be a good example by saying a blessing before a meal, monitoring what words come out of our mouth, and taking our kids to church. But what about in the mundane or less than glamorous parts of our day?

I have learned that my home is a school. Even if it's best lessons have been taught in my master bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment