Friday, March 14, 2014

A Letter To My Boy





Dear Jonah,

Today, as I write this, you're only three but it feels like you've been in my life forever. Truthfully, I really don't remember much about myself before you arrived on the scene. You, your sisters, and your daddy make my heart beat and so there are a few things that I would like to share with you.

Sex. Dude, it will trip you up. I know you probably won't be satisfied with the advice your dad and I have to give on the subject, but nonetheless, I have to give my two cents. I'm going to do my best to raise you in a house that respects the sanctity of marriage. When you give your body to someone, you give a piece of yourself away that you will never get back. And in return, you are given something that you will never be able to shake off. This can be an awesome exchange if two partners can rest easy knowing that the other will have their best interests at heart for the rest of their lives. It could be indescribable if you knew that you had a safe place to fall that never shifted. But if you allow yourself to be blown around like the wind, you'll find that you're picking up more baggage than you can safely carry. It spills over into everything. Your dad can share more on that topic.

Being a man. I've noticed recently that there seems to be an epidemic of men refusing to grow up. I'll be honest, it makes me sick. Our world is dripping with men leaving their families destitute and lonely to make themselves happy. There are men allowing the trash to pile up and the grass to grow knee high in the yard because they are playing video games. I'd like it to stop with you. With your strong will, you have the enormous potential to teach the next generation of men what it looks like to stand tall. Just remember that nothing is sexier than a man who fights for, protects, and loves his family fiercely.

Finally, I'd like you to pick up a lesson from King David. The bible says he was a man after God's own heart. But, the bible also tells us that he slept with another man's wife, got her pregnant, and then had the man killed to cover it up. What's my point? Well, why would the bible give such high esteem to a man like that? I'll tell you why. Because it's not about perfection. It's about persistence. King David was no more perfect than you, but He consistently dusted himself off after every fall and looked to his God for correction, redemption, and restoration.

I love you so much it hurts J-man. I'm going to loathe letting you go when it is time, but I know that you are a child of God and have been dedicated for a purpose. Bring him glory baby!

Love,
Mama



A letter to my girls

No comments:

Post a Comment