Monday, July 21, 2014

Why Should I Give Him The Time of Day? Part One: Intimacy



A spirit-filled man once said that if you are too busy to spend time with God, then you are busier than He intends for you to be.  Over the years, I've struggled with hitting pause long enough to focus on my creator.  I could say it's because I'm a stay-at-home mom and I've got three kids at home, but the truth is, there is always an excuse.  The truth is that I'm a human and that about sums it up.  I don't like to get up earlier than I absolutely have to, I procrastinate, and there is always something more urgent to tend to.

It wasn't until recently that I have truly begun to reap the benefits of a heart that longs for time with the Lord.  When I don't sit, read, study, praise, or admire, I miss Him.  I miss Him like I miss my husband who has been at work all day.  Today is the first of a three part series I will be writing and posting dedicated to answering the question, "Why should I give Him the time of day?"  Stick with me and feel free to chime in on the conversation in the comments section!

I need a regular quiet time with my savior for the same reason I need a regular date night with my husband.  The natural pace of life does not allow for connection.  My husband is a father to three.  He works a forty-hour-per-week job and also puts at least twenty hours each week into a film business that he built from the ground up (and kicks butt at, by the way).  He also adds youth leader to his resume, as he spends a few hours every week rocking out with and lifting up teenagers in our church.

As a stay-at-home mother to a four year old and two 18 month-olds, I also wear a lot of hats.  Cook, maid, nurse, counselor, teacher, professional organizer, event planner, bill payer, budget maker, photographer, bus driver, dental hygienist, meal planner, etc.  In addition to the big, floppy mom hat, I also wear a stylish writer's hat (what kind of hat would that look like, anyway?) and a ball cap that reads, "Youth Leader."  Oh, and I put in part-time hours for my husband's film business.

With those kinds of stats, intimacy is not going to independently spring up like a weed on its own.  And we are not special.  These hours and this struggle is familiar to everyone.  Whether you work inside or outside the home, whether you are married or not, whether you volunteer or not, time seems to be precious and scarce for most of us.

My husband and I set time aside for each other on the regular.  With babies and bills tugging at your apron strings, intimacy's plea will get hushed and put in the corner unless you give it a platform.  When we eat cheesecake out of the pan and gush over the latest episode of our favorite show, my husband and I find rest.  We find connection.  We give ourselves the gift of loving each other and enjoying each other.  We cultivate a deeper understanding and appreciation of each other.

I do the same with my heavenly father.  He wants a bottomless relationship with me.  He wants me to know Him.  I mean know Him.  He wants to love on me and encourage me; teach me and grow me.  He wants to grant me with encouragement and hope before the day ahead.  He wants to bless me with rest and rejuvenation after the day behind me.

Those things are fostered when we make time alone with Him a priority.  So I sit, read, study, praise, and admire.  And He loves.


Next time: Why Should I Give Him The Time of Day? Part Two: Instruments

No comments:

Post a Comment