Monday, August 18, 2014

To Live Is Christ and To Die Is Gain



"Mom, I want to go to heaven," he said suddenly taking me by surprise.

"You do?"

"Yeah, sometimes it's so hard to wait.  It's boring here."

My four year old uses the word boring for anything that may be described as unsatisfying.

"Well, I'm ready too.  Getting to be with Jesus all the time is going to be awesome!  But he has some things for us to do here on earth before we go," I explained in awe.

He smiled and skipped out of the bedroom like intensity hadn't just tumbled out of his mouth, and I was left behind to gaze at my tired reflection in the mirror.

He voiced what I have been feeling for several months.  A longing for home.  An aching for a place without horrifying six o'clock news stories.

Paul writes to the church in Philippi:

"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.  Yet what shall I choose?  I do not know!  I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body."
Philippians 1:21-24

And I realize that I'm not the first to find myself homesick.  Paul actually wanted to die, but unselfishly chose to live for the sake of others.  For the sake of others.

Inspiration wells up and takes hold inside me.  I will soon sit at the feet of Jesus for the rest of eternity resting in perfect peace and ultimate joy.  The thought alone spreads a smile across my face.

I have but a short time here in my temporary home to give others that same longing, so I will make the most of the opportunities given to me.

When I replay the day, the year, the life behind me, I want to see myself doing hard work.  Life here can be hard.  No doubt.  But it's so worth it to be a part of ushering in the Kingdom of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment