Monday, August 11, 2014

Unrush Me Lord



"The woman who lives with the stress of an overwhelmed schedule will often ache with the sadness of an underwhelmed soul."

Lysa TerKeurst, The Best Yes

Unrush me Lord.  The basis of Lysa TerKeurst's new book and the new prayer of my heart.

I have ached.  I have drowned in emptiness.  I have questioned, "What the heck am I doing?"

My schedule and the expectations I put on myself have colored me so dark that I have felt heavy.  Like too much finger paint on a flimsy sheet of looseleaf.

"Hurry up!" I say with little hands in mine and little feet struggling to keep up.

I am constantly looking ahead, trying to anticipate all that may interfere or interrupt.  I rush through my days and feel barren when the last little head nods off.  

Raw and unchecked emotion is a side effect of my hurried lifestyle.  Words spill out of me that I soon regret. 

I don't hear the delighting giggles of my daughters.  I don't hear the need for affection in my son's plea for me to hold him.  But most importantly, I don't hear the whispers of the Holy Spirit calling me to love.  

I don't hear him beckoning me toward joy and peace.  Forget patience.  Kindness, goodness, and faithfulness are lost in a sea of urgencies like getting to the bank before 2:00 P.M.  Gentleness and self-control are nothing more than an afterthought.  (Galatians 5:22-23)

I have begun to practice saying, "No."  The fullness of my life depends on it.  

I sit down to the table to eat dinner with my family and an incessant urge to get a head start on the dishes climbs up in me.  No.  I will bask in the gratitude of a scratched kitchen table full of spaghetti and love.

I start out the door to the grocery store with traffic and nap times on my mind.  An overwhelming need to speed pushes my pace.  No.  I will pause to let my baby boy pick a dandelion for me.

I will not miss out on the fullness of life that God has for me.  I will not trade joy, peace, and gratitude for productivity and emptiness.   

What will you say "No" to today in order to give God your best yes?


No comments:

Post a Comment