Monday, September 1, 2014

What I Didn't Know About My Husband Before We Got Married



My anniversary is this week.  Five years married to this crazy guy.  Unbelievable.  Through the good, the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful, I have to say that it has been the best five years of my life.  However, he failed to mention a few things about himself before we said, "I do."  In honor of our anniversary, here are a few things I didn't know about my husband before we got married.

I didn't know he is a baby-making machine.  We came home from our honeymoon with more than fond memories.  A few short weeks later, I was sick as a dog and we were preparing to shock friends and family with the news that we were already pregnant.

When that little nugget turned two years old, we intentionally aimed for baby #2 and were surprised yet again...with twins.  Two days after Christmas we found ourselves married for just a little over three years with three babies under the age of three.

Talk about whiplash.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

I didn't know I wouldn't be in charge.  I had read plenty about the role of a Christian wife and what the bible teaches about submission.  I didn't think I was the sole woman on earth to be exempt from this guideline, but I did think that there must be some further explanation for it.  Because I'm smart.  I can find my own way.  I mean, God made me pretty great.

But the shocking truth is, it doesn't matter how smart I am.  My husband brings things to the table that I never will be able to.  God has gifted him with the wisdom and strength to lead a family.  I have discovered (thank God) that I don't have to do all and be all.  I have a partner with a strong and tender hand to guide us.

I didn't know he could do any wrong.  When I walked down the aisle to this man of mine, I thought he was pretty close to perfect.  And what wasn't perfect, was cute.  I didn't know he could cause heartbreak and pain....just like I could.  I thought he was superhuman.

What I learned was that we are in this boat together.  He can grieve the heart of God and man just like me.  And that's why we are afforded the highest form of Godly community - marriage.  To love on each other when we need it most.  To hold accountable, to encourage, to hold each other up when we feel like we just can't muster another ounce of strength.



Sweetheart, I want you to know that if I lost you tomorrow, and I never knew the honor and joy of marriage again, I would consider the last five years the privilege of my life.  I have grown in so many ways because of your impact.  After all we've been through, I can't imagine what the next five years holds!  And I can't wait to find out.  Love you so much.

3 comments:

  1. I love you Stacey Lee. Thank you for not just holding onto me, but holding strong to your faith and hope. You've impacted me in so many ways as well. The next five years will definitely hold a lot and I'm glad to go into them head on with you. You. are. awesome.

    (p.s. Sorry I forgot to mention the baby machine thing. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely Stacey! Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby. Miss you friend!

    Chasattee

    ReplyDelete