Monday, October 20, 2014

31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess - Complacency From Comfort


Lord, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief. - Psalm 142:1

Israel was God's chosen people who reduced their love affair with God to be "on-again-off-again."  They have a bad reputation for their cycle of basking in the goodness of God for so long that they took it for granted and forgot about God completely.

God, in his mercy and patience, faithfully came to their rescue at each turn in the cycle.

I wonder how often this rings true in my own life.  When saturated with ease and comfort, I creep into complacency and indifference to the hand of God in my life.

Shouldn't the opposite be true?  When my life is so intensely blessed, shouldn't I sing His praises?

Oh, human nature, you plague me so.

God knows my heart so well because he formed it himself.  He knows my tendencies.  He knows my slippery slopes.

He keeps me at arm's length of my comfort zone most days because He loves my fixed eyes and reliance on Him.  He never lets me go without, and yet usually provides just enough at just the right time.  Never in surplus and never in advance.  And for that...I will be grateful.



Want to read more from this series 31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess?  Click Here for a complete listing of daily posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment