Thursday, October 16, 2014

31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess - The Greeting of Gratitude



Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. - Psalm 100:4

My four year old likes to greet his grandmother by asking where her ipad is.  He skips the kiss and hug.  He's not concerned with gracious greetings like, "Hi, Nani! How are you?"

Nani: "Hey sugar!"
Jonah:"Where's your ipad?"

I consistently have to redirect him back to manners, and selflessness, and respect.

He's four.

But I wonder how often I am like that with my heavenly father.  Do I bring my urgent requests, drop them at the door, and run on to more important people and things?

Psalm 100:4 is an awesome reminder for how we should approach and greet our heavenly father.  Let's begin with gratitude!  

I have had countless moments of such complete anguish that I could think to do nothing but cry out to God for mercy.  Thanksgiving eluded me.  But, through my most abrasive struggles, I learned that a greeting of gratitude not only shows respect and love to my Father, it also gives me a different lens to view my plight through.

My prayers become more of a cry of faith and a hope for His glory, and less of a complaint or doubtful whining. 

Lord, I am so blessed for all you have done for me up to this point.  You have never left me lonely or in peril.  Your love for me is astounding.  I find myself here, once again, at the point of destruction.  I writhe with guilt, anger, depression.  Will you rescue me once more?  Will you shower your love and mercy on me?  Restore my soul, Father.  Wrap me in your arms and comfort me.

Gratitude can do miraculous things for a heart that is in despair.  The proper start sets the course of the journey.



Want to read more from this series 31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess?  Click Here for a complete listing of daily posts!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Stacey - a great way to begin the day! Love your series topic too. Seeing today through a lens of gratitude.
    Blessings,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete