Sunday, October 5, 2014

31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess - Holy Revenge, Batman



The Lord is a God who avenges.  O God who avenges, shine forth.  Rise up, Judge of the earth; pay back to the proud what they deserve. - Psalm 94:1-2

In recent years, I've trudged through the thickness of injustice.  There have been times that I've stood punch-drunk at the blow of something I did not deserve.  There have been times that I've felt deserted and forgotten while what I worked hard for relentlessly escaped me.

It's not fair.

Have you ever said that?

There is no doubt that sometimes, the perception of injustice is actually God's discipline or protection.  We actually are getting what we deserve or being sheltered from a danger that we think we deserve.

Regardless, adulthood has ushered in a new passion for justice within me.  I writhe at the thought of unfairness.

I get heated, I boil.

I want to rise up and set things right in such a way that enacts fear and shame on the face and in the heart of the evil-doer.  Seeing balance and righteousness restored gives me an intense feeling of satisfaction.  

Am I alone?  Does anyone else start taking off their jewelry and pull their hair back when faced with injustice?

What I am learning is that it is God's will and pleasure for us to allow Him to fight for us (Exodus 14:14).  He is the most righteous judge (Psalm 7:11) and therefore, there is no one better to enact vengeance.  He sets all things in order in the most perfect timing and set of circumstances.

Want the sweetest and best kind of revenge?  Let God bring it into existence with his infinite and holy resources.

I've also learned that the moment you feel you have enough information, enough support, and enough right to seek revenge, is the exact moment you are in a most dire need for a gut check.

Will you allow Satan to use you to multiply the evil that he has already spawned?  Food for thought.

What desire for revenge are you fighting against today?



Want to read more from this series, 31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess? Click Here for a full listing of daily posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment