Tuesday, October 14, 2014

31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess - Part 2 of Waiting is a Place Where Heaven Meets Hell



In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly. - Psalm 5:3

{Part Two}

I'll just be frank, waiting sucks.

After the prophet, Samuel, anointed little shepherd boy, David, to become Israel's next king, nothing fancy happened.  Do you know what David did the very next day?  He went back to tending sheep.

He waited for decades to take the throne.  

I'm getting all "squirrely" just thinking about it.

After my marriage hit rock bottom, I waited for months before I began my ascent back out of the pit.  I wanted to start work right away.  I knew the best plan of action.  I knew my role, I knew my husband's role, and I was ready.

But God made me wait, and I just didn't understand why.  I knew that God was for my marriage, and I was so passionately willing to do whatever it took.  I cried out, "What's the deal?" when He whispered to my heart, "Wait." and "Be still."

But as I mentioned yesterday, some of the most beautiful and priceless growth happens when you pause and let God do His thing.

In those months, I developed in ways that I could never put an appropriate value on.  Patience, long-suffering, and gratitude were are characteristics that strengthened within me.  I became a better wife and mother.  A better woman overall.

And my husband changed as well.  God so perfectly arranged people, places, and events to bring him exactly to the place he needed to be to receive me and my developments.

It's kind of like labor and delivery.  It wasn't easy, but I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.  Given a second chance, again I would wait.


Want to read more from this series 31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess?  Click Here for a complete listing of daily posts!

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I have also had trouble "waiting". I think my problem was that waiting equated with inactivity or not doing anything. When I realized that waiting also meant pausing with expectancy, well my whole perspective changed as I now had something to do while I waited :) I began to look for ways in which to see God's hand of activity at work in my life or circumstances. Like you, there have been long periods of waiting that I would surely do all over again for they were so worth the outcome that our God brought about. So grateful to visit you this morning! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete