Thursday, October 23, 2014

31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess - Peace Washed Over it All


In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

I had an excruciating decision to make.  And everyone knew it. 

Not only did they know I was at a crossroads, they all knew which turn I should take.  The only problem was, they didn't all agree on the direction.

My agony spilled over into my children.  I was tense, harsh, impatient, and not fully engaged.  An entire bag of jellybeans graced the floor and there was a horrifying trail of toilet water coming from the children's bathroom.

My phone harassed me with texts and calls, all loved ones who knew what was best for me and wanted to make sure I made the right decision.

I was tormented.  My stomach turned, my hands shook, my head ached.

But a simple prayer while standing at the kitchen sink washed peace over it all.

"Lord Jesus, you know the turmoil inside me.  You know the decision I have to make.  I know that you calm the storm and you make your will known to your children.  Please help me, Father.  Please. Please."

The phone stopped.  The children quieted and even laid down for an afternoon nap.

But even more importantly, the storm inside me quieted.  A new thought (a decision) entered my mind. It seemed so simple and obvious, but in my chaos, my lens was smudged and my perspective was skewed.  

When the revelation of His will graced my mind and heart, sweet, clear, easy peace enveloped me.  I soaked in the best sleep that night.  I rested easy because the Lord alone allows me to dwell in safety.



Want to read more from this series 31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess?  Click Here for a complete listing of daily posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment