Monday, October 13, 2014

31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess - Waiting is a Place Where Heaven Meets Hell



In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly. - Psalm 5:3

Last fall, I read this verse at just the right time.  I was in a mess, and being asked to wait.  I wrote this in the margin of my bible: "To wait expectantly - Oh so difficult." Along with the date.

I don't wait well.  

In fact, I think waiting is a place where heaven meets hell.  It is so excruciating for those of us who already know what is best, those of us who like to be in control, and those of us who lack patience and self control.  

And yet, waiting can be a space where the most priceless and beautiful growth happens.

Nate Pyle says this:

"Not once have I danced around our house shouting, 'Yeah suffering!'  Instead, in the midst of pain and hurt, I am actively expecting God to do something.  I don't know what.  I don't know when.  But I am expecting the God of resurrection to heal us.  I am expecting God to restore us.  I am expecting him to redeem this situation.  I am expecting him to do this and so I will be actively looking and waiting for him to do something.  I believe expectant waiting can only happen when we exchange our feeble platitudes for an authentic faith that engages God with the full brunt of our emotion and pain.  Only then can salvation be seen."

What are you waiting for today?  Has it been a difficult phase of life for you?  What helps you to wait well?


Want to read more from this series 31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess?  Click Here for a complete listing of daily posts!

2 comments:

  1. What an amazing quote. Do you know where it's from? Is it from a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for reading! The quote is from a pastor named Nate Pyle. You can find the rest of the article here:
      http://natepyle.com/confronting-the-lie-god-wont-give-you-more-than-you-can-handle/#sthash.onTUlPq6.dpbs
      It really is an incredible article. God bless you today!

      Delete