Wednesday, October 1, 2014

31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess - Faithfulness Through Generations

Today is the first day of October! Hark the herald...where has the year gone?? For me, October means pumpkins, three little Halloween costumes, and my birthday. And this year, something new! This year I will be a first-time participant in the 31 days of writing challenge. For those unfamiliar, it is a challenge for bloggers to pick one topic and write a post on that topic every day in October.

Crazy right? I didn't shower until 6 PM yesterday and I optimistically think that I'm going to find time to write and post every day for 31 days? Why yes, yes I am. 

Wish me luck! My topic is 31 Psalms That Meet Me in the Mess. The margins are totally marked up in the book of Psalm in my bible, so I will be passing along what I've gleaned. The posts will inevitably be shorter than my typical posts, so join me for a minute or two each day in October.

For the index of all 31 posts, Click Here!

And here we go!




For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. - Psalm 100:5

This Psalm is underlined in my big tattered bible, and I've written in the margin:

 Hope for my children.

I've found that the only time I watch the news lately is when there is an impending hurricane or other threatening storm.  The nightly six o'clock stories rarely find their way to my TV screen anymore.

I don't de-value knowledge and awareness, but I do despise the daily stream of fear into my home.  

Frail little lives torn at the hands of those charged with their love and care.  Precious children who experience the pain of hunger until death.  Abandonment, abuse...

I glance at my own treasured littles fighting over legos on the living room floor and I'm paralyzed by the ponderings of the world they are growing up in.  What will happen to them?  What kinds of horrors will they witness with their little eyes?  What kind of unimaginable pain will their hearts endure?

But Psalm 100:5 reminds me, his faithfulness continues through all generations.

I've experienced evil.  I've trudged through mucky, dark valleys.  I've even contributed to the delinquency of this world.  Yet, here I am, tucked safe in the arms of my creator.  

Set apart.  Called.  Used for His purposes.

In spite of  the mess, I am blessed.  I am more than a conqueror through Christ Jesus (Romans 8:37).  A soldier cultivated and raised up for victory and advancement of the Kingdom of God.

And if our God is the same today and tomorrow as He was yesterday (Hebrews 13:8), if He never changes like shifting shadows (James 1:17), if He always fulfills His promises (Numbers 23:19)...

Will my children not be held in the same blessing, cultivation, and calling?

Oh sweet Jesus, your glory and grace never cease to envelop me.  Your power and goodness drown me in gratitude.  Paralysis healed, ease of posture restored.  Peace settled upon me.

How has the Lord been faithful to you friend?  What peace settles upon you as you read Psalm 100:5?

1 comment: