Wednesday, November 5, 2014

WHEN God Gives You More Than You Can Handle



Has anyone ever said to you...

God won't give you more than you can handle.

I've been told that a thousand times, and I've offered it a few times myself.  One of my favorite songs even declares:

I won't give you more, more than you can take.
I might let you bend, but I won't let you break.

But you know what I've personally experienced?  God does give us more than we can handle.

You see, when people have offered me that encouragement in the past, it has never wrapped me in comfort the way I suppose it was designed to.

When I was overwhelmed with the news of pregnancy just a few weeks after my honeymoon, someone said to me...God won't give you more than you can handle.

When my father had a stroke and I spent my weekends caring for a newborn and an adult patient, someone said to me...God won't give you more than you can handle.

When I was overwhelmed, yet again, with the news that I was pregnant with twins, someone said to me...God won't give you more than you can handle.

When my daughter was born with a hole in her heart and was in and out of the hospital, someone said to me...God won't give you more than you can handle.

When I found myself married for three years with three babies under the age of three, someone said to me...God won't give you more than you can handle.

When my husband told me he wasn't in love with me anymore, someone whispered to me...God won't give you more than you can handle.

I found no comfort in that place.  I found no strength in that statement.  Guilt took the place of encouragement.  I should be braver.  I should be stronger.  I felt a vague sense of dread creep in with the thought that I wasn't who these people thought I was.

So I came to the conclusion that God does give us more than we can handle.  Because truthfully, apart from Him, I can do nothing.  Grace under pressure, patience, strength, and discernment are all natural characteristics of God, not me.

The truth is that God gives us more than we can handle, because it gives Him the opportunity to shine.  He steps in and fills the gaps.  He more than makes up for my lacking.  His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses, right (2 Corinthians 12:8-10)?

I never would have made it through any of life's major trials on my own strength.  I probably would have committed suicide long ago.  If we are being honest.

I have truly soaked up my most recent study of Gideon because I think the story of Gideon illustrates this point so perfectly.  Gideon was nothing but timid, fearful, and insecure when the angel of the Lord came to him.  He had no strengths or attributes that specially positioned him for success.

And God dwindled his resources even further after calling him to become a leader!  Defeating the Midianites was more than Gideon could possibly handle...alone.

I believe God gives us more than we can handle, and that brings me more comfort than anything else.  It brings me comfort to know that there is one so much higher than I that can assure that I make it through any trial or storm.  And He is for me.  Never against me or indifferent.

2 comments:

  1. I read something about this topic awhile back showing in scripture when it says God wants us to lean on him in the tough times which strengthens us!! Great post and even better timing to be reminded of this truth!! Thanks Stacey��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Crystal! It is crazy how great and vast and uncontainable our God is. I love it!

      Delete