Monday, January 26, 2015

My Empty Space Is Made For God's Grace


Pushing the cart around, I saw so much I wanted to put in it.  Chocolaty breakfast bars, guacamole, those new chips.  You know, fun pantry stuff.  Instead, I grabbed two blocks of cheese, two loaves of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and a few other essentials.  It was going to be a sandwiches-for-dinner kind of week.

I started to feel a little bratty, a little entitled.  But with every step of obedience toward the register and away from the things I really didn't need, God spoke to my heart.

You are well-loved.  Always provided for.  Never without.  You are my baby girl.  Boast in my provision sweetheart.

By the time I stepped out into the rain to rush to my van, I was excited about the challenge before me.  I was excited about peanut butter and jelly and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Let's do this, God.

Our lack has always been blessed space for God to fill.  It has always been opportunity for God to love on us.

Our empty space is made for God's grace.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."
2 Corinthians 12:9

The apostle Paul let this truth sink down into the very depths of his heart until it took up residence there, and he taught it to the church in Corinth with intention.  Only he wasn't concerned with queso and the latest coffee creamer.  He was being beaten and tortured in prison.  That alone makes me a little ashamed of the pouty face I carried through the grocery store.

It is that gap between what we need and what we have, that gap between where we are and where we need to be that allows the power of Christ to be magnified and seen.

And isn't that our purpose here on earth?  To bring glory to our Heavenly Father?

We are designed to live in a way that shines a spotlight on what God has done in our lives, how gracious He is.  And let's be honest, the spotlight is needed because those areas are usually pretty dark.

I am always amazed at the things God uses to shape me.  Like what goes into my grocery cart and what gets tossed out (my entitled attitude.)  Or how I react when I'm late and can't find my keys (or my self-control.)  Or any one of the countless other mundane details of my daily life.

What are you lacking in today?  What is your need?  Will you ask and allow God to fill it?  I promise you will fall a little more in love with Him each time you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment