Tuesday, February 10, 2015

For When I've Been Totally Unproductive


Mamas, do you ever feel defeated over your lack of productivity?

The day comes and goes, and not one project gets thoroughly completed. You battle dishes and laundry and poor manners all day, and when your head hits the pillow, you're left with dinner remnants still on the table, a load of wet towels still in the washer, and a preschooler who refuses to say thank you.

This reality has actually brought me to tears on really dull days.  I'm a stay-at-home mom.  Have I utterly missed my calling?

As Godly moms, on days that we feel unproductive, I think we should ask ourselves what exactly we are trying to produce.  If it's clean homes and compliant children, there's a chance I might be failing.

As Christians, we have been given a titanic charge no matter what our age, occupation, or phase of life.  We call it The Great Commission.

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Matthew 28:18-20 


The Great Commission.  The title alone is epic.  It boasts of an adventure greater than baked-on meatloaf.  Our most important calling is to reach others and help them walk with God.

So as a mom, what does that have to do with a clean home?  Not a dern thing.

Don't misunderstand me.  There are holy purposes for a clean home.  Our families need to know that these brick and wood and vinyl structures we dwell in are a place of safety and provision.  They need to feel sanctuary here.  Sometimes God calls us and equips us with the gift of hospitality so that the broken and neglected can come into your safe haven and be rejuvenated.

But when I sink under my covers at night and feel totally dead and busted in my calling because there are 100 pieces of plastic play food still peppering the living room floor, there is a problem.

What am I trying to produce?  Children who know the Lord and are totally enamored by Him.  There will come a day not too long from now, when my children will no longer charge these front porch steps day in and day out.  They will be out there...in the world...without me.

And I can tell you right now, I will not be proud of my accomplishments as a housekeeper if my children are not prepared for the war this culture will undoubtedly serve them.

As godly mamas (especially of young children), I think it's time to redefine productivity.

So what am I aiming to produce in my children?  More on that next time...come back and sit with me for a while.


2 comments:

  1. I had a 'Godly Mama" and spending time with her babies was the highest priority next to having dinner on the table when my dad came home from work. Of course, that was back in the 1950s & 1960s when being a stay-at-home mom was more of the norm.
    I pray that you will be blessed to continue to be the kind of mom to your children that honors our Lord. Thx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! My mom was a single mom for much of my childhood, yet what I remember most about those years is her presence. She was always engaged with whatever my brother and I were doing. She was always involved, always there. I know that you cherish your mother's presence as much as I did. Blessings to her and you! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete