Monday, February 16, 2015

Redefining Productivity For Godly Mamas



When we sat to chat last week, I shared my heart with you over the issue of productivity.

"As Godly moms, on days that we feel unproductive, I think we should ask ourselves what exactly we are trying to produce.  If it's clean homes and compliant children, there's a chance I might be failing."   

That was my burden in a nutshell.  I offered the idea that, in light of the Great Commission, we may need to address our definition of productivity.  Here is what comes next:

Like every precious mama, I have a lengthy list of traits that I want my children to proudly bear when they walk out my door on that conclusive day that we officially say, they've left the nest.  Some of these characteristics will be realized, some just won't.  I'm at peace with the truth that I'm raising God-made human beings and not programmable androids.

But among my longwinded hopes are a few things that the Lord has really engraved upon my heart for my kids.  And those are the things I would like to share with you.

1.  A love of scripture.  I don't read my bible every single day.  I walk through seasons of deep, enthralling study and then dry seasons in which I set the Word aside for far too long.  But when I am consistently losing myself in the ever-teaching, ever-satisfying Word of God, I am at my best.  I want this for my children.  I want them to know the joy of scripture.

I want them to dig and pursue and taste the intimacy of being God-taught.  God-taught.  Can someone else be excited about this?  Let me hear you.  Because there is an element of closeness that is so indescribable that I struggle to write these very words.  To have the knowledge of God engrained in you straight from the source is absolutely inestimable in its value.

Our world holds Christ-lovers who harbor one or two preciously tattered pages of scripture with fear of being tortured just for possessing it.  And ours collect dust on a shelf.

I want my children to know what they have in the Word of God.


2.  The blessing of conversation with the Father.   My Father speaks to me.  Does he speak to you? For me, it is the summit of communion.  In a devotion, a podcast, a Sunday morning message, a treasured friend...he laughs with me, cries with me, comforts me, and corrects me.  Sometimes it's just a push in my soul, a whisper, or a deep breath that comes from deep inside.  It's a thought that I know cannot be my own because it is far too holy.

I want my children to be familiar with this.  I want them to be comfortable with communion with the creator of the universe.  We often share our lives through conversation, and I need my kids to know that they can share a deeply fulfilling exchange with the one who knows them and loves them better than anyone.  What a marvelous gift.


3.  The recognition of the Holy Spirit within them.  That whisper, that thought that is not my own...it is the most treasured legacy of all.  The Holy Spirit thrives inside of every believer, and my recognition of his movement in my life has been what I've been most thankful for the last couple of years of my life.  It is a modern-day miracle that Jesus would choose to leave a piece of himself to inhabit me, cultivate me, love on me, and never leave me while I walk through this place that is ultimately not my home.  Can you feel the awesome energy of this?

For my children to leave my constant care without a foundational recognition of the Holy Spirit would be heartbreaking.  Because I know what depth it has brought to my life.

I beg God for all of these things.  I know that their salvation does not rest on my shoulders.  I will do my best to create an environment in which these things are shared and celebrated.  I will talk about them often and display what they've added to my life.  And then I will pray and watch as God takes over.

These are the fruits I want to smile over when my children leave my side.  I won't be proud of the fact that we could have eaten off the kitchen floor.  Who does that anyway?  I'll mop it one day.  But today is not that day.  And I won't beat myself up over it.  They have plenty to eat, clean underwear in the drawer, and thanks to my hard-working husband, a roof over their heads.  Beyond that, today my focus will be on the Great Commission, and what I ultimately aim to produce as a Godly mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment