Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Three Tips To Finding Your Calling



Every one of us has a knockout calling on our lives.

Us.

The ones who can't get their kids to school on time. The ones who couldn't find time to do their bible study homework this week. The ones who are floundering in their third marriage. Us.

Sweet girl, what is it? What is that precious frontier in which God smiles upon and says, "This is for you. This is where you will shine my glory all over this dry and thirsty land."

When we feel inadequate, dry, or clueless, how do we discern our calling?


1. Observe the darkest, most stretching season of your life.


You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book.
Psalm 56:8 (NLT)

During the toughest valley of my life to date, I encountered God in a way that left me forever changed. I spent a couple of years in the hot thick of struggle, and I knew mid-way through that God was going to use my pain for His glory. I didn't appreciate it then, but I am loving it today.

When have you experienced a season of diligent growth? Meditate on the faith that became a part of your very bones by living through that battle. Ponder how God prepared you for a season such as this. What was added to your character, knowledge, or faith that can spill out of you and onto other brothers and sisters in Christ?



2. Tap into your passion.

But if I say, "I will not mention his word, or speak anymore in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot.
Jeremiah 20:9 (NIV)

What kind of fire has the Father created you with? There's a clue there.

Is hiking your love language? The feel of the earth and the freshness of the air may be what spurs you on to an outdoor ministry.

Do you thrive on the conversation shared while you paint nails at work? Maybe you're called to love on battered women who just need a little TLC after a tough week of therapy and healing.

Are you happiest while you're baking? God could shower little girls with grace as you give free baking classes to girls who have lost their moms.

The things that light you up will naturally draw in those who have need of what you have.


3. Get your face in the Word.

This is only listed last for emphasis. Not for order of importance. As the last item on our list, let it sit hot on your mind as we close out.

When you're processing through a discernment for what your calling is, every word from the mouth of God is where you begin. 

He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. 
Deuteronomy 8:3 (NIV)

Are you feeling hungry, friends? Are your insides bubbling for usefulness in The Kingdom without direction for satisfaction? Get your face in the Word.

Never do I experience God more, than when I am consistently and thirstily digging deeper into His Word.

What is He saying?

Who does it apply to?

What characteristics is He displaying here?

Just who is He, really?

I become more and more aware of His thoughts becoming my thoughts. His presence thickens. His Spirit begins doing a work in me that I can only describe as a stirring that morphs into a tidal wave.

Discernment follows. As we draw closer to Him, He draws closer to us. And relationship naturally leads to partnership in the Kingdom of God!

Glory! Pursue your calling with fiery diligence, girl! It's what you're here for.


No comments:

Post a Comment